[PROPOSAL] Dealing with two LTS releases and backports
Leif Hedstrom
2018-08-29 23:47:28 UTC
Hi all,

since we now have two of the “new” style LTS release branches, 7.1.x and 8.0.x, it gets more problematic to deal with backport requests. The issue comes down to the fact that a PR can only have one Milestone. My suggestion is as follow:

1. The latest LTS branch has priority on doing “simple” cherry-picks, and therefore, can update the Milestone accordingly.
2. All other LTS branches will always require a second PR against that particular branch.

For #2, the RM (e.g. me for 7.1.x) is at liberty to do such a PR him/herself, however, the person proposing a Backport should be willing and expected to make the PR if asked. Therefore, if you are not willing, or interested, in making such backport PRs, please don’t propose a PR to be back ported to an older LTS branch.

I hope this makes sense?

— Leif
Bryan Call

— Leif
Masakazu Kitajo
2018-10-09 00:47:33 UTC
Post by Leif Hedstrom
the person proposing a Backport should be willing and expected to make
the PR if asked

I proposed a backport but didn't make a PR for 7.1.x because I wasn't asked
to make it. Should I make the PR even if I wasn't asked to do so, or should
I wait for the request from RM?

Masakazu
Post by Leif Hedstrom
+1
-Bryan
Post by Leif Hedstrom
For #2, the RM (e.g. me for 7.1.x) is at liberty to do such a PR
him/herself, however, the person proposing a Backport should be willing and
expected to make the PR if asked. Therefore, if you are not willing, or
interested, in making such backport PRs, please don’t propose a PR to be
back ported to an older LTS branch.
Post by Leif Hedstrom
I hope this makes sense?
— Leif