conn. throttling.
Dk Jack
2018-11-23 19:19:10 UTC
I am trying to understand the config.net.connections_throttle configuration
shown below. The documentation says roughly 10% of the connections are
reserved for origin server connections. If the default was setting is
30,000, how does it arrive at the 9000 number for client connections
(assuming client-side connections here means connections from clients i.e
not connections to origin), should it not be 27k? If I set the
configuration to 0, is the number of origin server connections still
limited to 10%? Thanks for your help.

Dk.

proxy.config.net.connections_throttle
<https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/files/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-net-connections-throttle>
Scope: CONFIG
Type: INT
Default: 30000

The total number of client and origin server connections that the server
can handle simultaneously. This is in fact the max number of file
descriptors that the *traffic_server* process can have open at any given
time. Roughly 10% of these connections are reserved for origin server
connections, i.e. from the default, only ~9,000 client connections can be
handled. This should be tuned according to your memory size, and expected
work load. If this is set to 0, the throttling logic is disabled.
Alan Carroll
2018-11-26 14:54:41 UTC
It's a bug in the documentation. The value was originally 10000, but was
changed to 30000 in commit 879bedceb without updating the explanatory text.
Hi,
<
--
*Beware the fisherman who's casting out his line in to a dried up riverbed.*
*Oh don't try to tell him 'cause he won't believe. Throw some bread to the
*It's easier that way. *- Genesis : Duke : VI 25-28
Dk Jack
2018-11-26 21:18:39 UTC
Thanks Alan. I am using 6.2.1, how can I tell if the max connections is 10k
or 30k?
At least 6.2.x documentation says its 30k.

Also, could you please answer my second question...

"If I set the configuration to 0, is the number of origin server
connections still limited to 10%?"

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:55 AM Alan Carroll
Post by Alan Carroll
It's a bug in the documentation. The value was originally 10000, but was
changed to 30000 in commit 879bedceb without updating the explanatory text.
Hi,
Alan Carroll
2018-11-26 21:28:48 UTC
I'd use `traffic_ctl` to check the value, if it's not set in your
`records.config`.

The setting doesn't limit origin connections to 10% - it starts limiting
client connections at 90%.
Post by Alan Carroll
It's a bug in the documentation. The value was originally 10000, but was
changed to 30000 in commit 879bedceb without updating the explanatory
text.
Post by Alan Carroll
Hi,