Python 2.7 EOL and Sphinx documentation.
Alan Carroll
2018-10-08 23:01:20 UTC
I've been working with the doc build recently and I think I would like to
change the 'sbuild' logic to just directly call python, e.g. 'python3 -m
sphinx' which I have been using in testing for various reasons and I like
it, primarily because the lack of dependency on /usr/bin/sbuild means
Sphinx can be installed purely via 'pip install --user' which gets around a
number of local system dependencies. I think getting this is worth forcing
documentation building to require Python 3, in light of the 2.7 EOL in the
not all that distant future.
--
*Beware the fisherman who's casting out his line in to a dried up riverbed.*
*Oh don't try to tell him 'cause he won't believe. Throw some bread to the
*It's easier that way. *- Genesis : Duke : VI 25-28
Leif Hedstrom
2018-10-08 23:49:08 UTC
Post by Alan Carroll
I've been working with the doc build recently and I think I would like to
change the 'sbuild' logic to just directly call python, e.g. 'python3 -m
sphinx' which I have been using in testing for various reasons and I like
it, primarily because the lack of dependency on /usr/bin/sbuild means
Sphinx can be installed purely via 'pip install --user' which gets around a
number of local system dependencies. I think getting this is worth forcing
documentation building to require Python 3, in light of the 2.7 EOL in the
not all that distant future.
Yeh, I have no problem with this. The docs sites are built on CentOS7 though, so make sure that the Python3 is sufficiently new there.

— Leif

***@jenkins 323/1 # python3 --version
Python 3.4.8
Fieck, Brennan
2018-10-09 12:56:16 UTC
Idk if I get a vote, but +1

CentOS with 'elrepo' installed is capable of pulling the latest 3.4 release, and Sphinx should work for anything between 3.4.1 and 3.6.x.

Be careful about building with 3.7, syntax highlighting doesn't work because Pygments does things it shouldn't do that were discouraged in previous versions, but actually throw RuntimeErrors in 3.7

________________________________

Python 3.4.8
Leif Hedstrom
2018-10-09 16:51:52 UTC
Post by Fieck, Brennan
Idk if I get a vote, but +1
Of course you get a vote!! Honestly, everyone has a vote, don’t get hung up on the “binding” votes or not. In fact, in many cases, getting votes from non-committers / PMC members has a lot more value!
Post by Fieck, Brennan
CentOS with 'elrepo' installed is capable of pulling the latest 3.4 release, and Sphinx should work for anything between 3.4.1 and 3.6.x.
Great!

Cheers,

— Leif